Thursday, September 01, 2005

impatience

Not being able to sit idly by any longer, I contacted my local Red Cross yesterday to volunteer. The local paper said that they were looking for people to attend a day-long training, who could volunteer to be deployed to the Gulf Coast for at least a 2 week period. I'm waiting to hear back as to whether they'll use me or not.

It seems I've been doing a lot of waiting in the past few months, and I'm really starting to get annoyed. I'm ready to go, I'm ready to work, and no one else seems ready. I don't even know that I could go to the Gulf Coast for two weeks because I don't actually know my start date yet, which I was supposed to know no later than yesterday, and all of the people associated with making my offer have been on vacation since the time that my acceptance letter was due. So who, exactly, is receiving these letters and making the assignments? "Call back on Sept 6" does not make me happy. And I understand the Red Cross is swamped right now, so I'll be more than happy to march down to the office and refuse to leave until they deploy me. But don't solicit volunteers to contact you via phone and email if you will not respond to those forms of communication.

I never thought I'd get bored with doing nothing, but that time has come. I'm bored out of my mind. I'm so bored that I can't even watch TV or read the books I checked out from the library. It's not as warm anymore, so going swimming isn't really an option, but I would really like the time in the sun. Sometime over the past week, summer started officially disappearing, and now it's fall. There's no longer any excuse to be lazy. I need to get up and do something; I need to know whether and when I'm moving; I need to know whether I'll be in New Orleans or in an office next week. I'm ready to go, and all this uncertainty is irking me.

One great thing about fall is pumpkin spice coffee. Yum. My favorite flavored coffee of all time is the Holiday Spice coffee that Borders sells in the winter. It's hands down the best spiced coffee ever. I'm going to go drink some coffee and resume my day job on the couch.

No comments: