Thursday, January 12, 2006

on being an attorney: why you should be a solo practitioner

I am in the process of applying for a loan repayment grant.  The grant requires a letter from my employer verifying my job description (to make sure it is indeed a legal, public interest job), my starting date, and my salary.  I asked my supervisor, he said to ask the head office administrator.  I asked the head office administrator, she told me to call a woman in HR.  I called and emailed the woman in HR, she's been out sick.  I call another HR number.  Finally someone calls me back and I tell them what I need.  He tells me that they need something in writing to release my start date and salary.  To release this letter to me, you need my written permission, I ask?  Yes, he says.  Also, the job description is a problem.  He needs to call me back.  I come back to my office at the end of the day and find a message telling me that they don't need my written permission (I had already given it to him) and will give me a letter with my salary and start date but that they cannot give me a job description.  I need to get that from my supervisor or office administrator. 
 
So the only thing standing in the way of me getting this loan repayment grant is the crap paying job I took that qualifies me for said grant in the first place.  

1 comment:

Sancho said...

Nice. Try sending a picture of you with your pockets turned inside out and your hands stretched out and open. A little sympathy might get them moving a little quicker.