Monday, November 22, 2004

Today, I learned about guns.

Most of today's testimony in the trial that I'm observing was the ballistician's testimony. I learned fun terminology like "cylinder flare" and know what a 'full metal jacket' means. I know where gunpowder residue shows up after a gun's been fired, and I know how a round of ammunition works. It took more than half the day just to near the end of his direct testimony, and I'm looking forward to learning more about it tomorrow. I am very much looking forward to seeing the cross-examination of the ballistician by both defense attorneys.

I am now working on a brief and it needs to be done tonight. Screwed, I am.

UPDATE: At first I felt sympathy for this defendant, but now, I feel myself wishing (with lots and lots of guilt attached) that our legal system didn't permit people to go into court without attorneys. I had written a long entry here about one of the issues, and I'm sure all of you would have been incredulous, but unfortunately, it seems like I shouldn't be divulging all that info. But it's really, really absurd. Clearly a good use of my time at 10:30 on a Monday night.

No comments: