Monday, July 19, 2004

Do it... do it...

Supreme Court asked to end juvenile death penalty.

It's difficult for me to imagine why people are so focused on punishing juveniles. In today's Washington Post, there was an article about DC declaring a crime emergency, in response to the underage driver 'epidemic' in the city. It's so much easier to denounce juveniles when you read about their crimes. But what I've learned from working with juvenile delinquents this summer is that when you meet them as individuals, it's so much more difficult. You see their childhood, you meet the ones that have grown up in the system, the ones that have children that they truly want to raise well, but they're only kids themselves. I can't stand that there are people who don't know kids and don't care to know them, but wouldn't hesitate to send them away to prison in the blink of an eye. And to think that someone would want to EXECUTE children... it's just horrendous.

An eye for an eye leaves Mitt Romney blind.

ABA website on the juvenile death penalty. I didn't know that there really were juveniles on death row in this country.

3 comments:

WomanoftheLaw said...

I know that what you're getting at is that more guns will make the streets safer. I'm not a proponent of that idea, but I can see why you'd think it would be a good idea. Do you really think that guns are a deterrent to crime? I'm not sure that even if it did decrease crime that the cost-benefit analysis would work out on that one. Decreasing car thefts but increasing the numbers of homicides? And when a kid is taking off in your car, are you telling me that you're going to shoot at a child and a moving car, AND not hit anyone else in a crowded urban area? Also, I'm not a fan of advocating violence to solve problems.

WomanoftheLaw said...

I'll look at your little man John Lott's research later. But right now, I'll say that I have my doubts about the ability of guns to solve crime. For instance, in some countries, police officers don't even carry guns. So is there more crime in these countries?

I stand by what I say before. You can allege that it's a FACT that guns deter criminals but people say the same thing about capital punishment. I refuse to accept either of those "facts." I think that the choices people make in a day are more complex than that. Let's look at the fact that 14 year olds are being charged for murder in Maryland because they stole a car and then crashed while trying to evade police, resulting in the death of an individual - they're looking at adult charges, adult jail, or even the loss of their own life every time they crash those cars. Does that change their decision every time they do it? Why would a gun deter that then? And as a matter of fact, I had a conversation just yesterday with an individual who told me he's afraid of guns every time he goes out and does his thing in the streets. He is afraid of getting shot. But he still does his thing in the streets. So you're telling me MORE guns is going to set him straight?

No matter what numbers Academia wants to crunch, the fact of the matter is that many of the individuals that are making these choices couldn't care less about numbers. They have more basic and pressing problems.

WomanoftheLaw said...

I don't disagree that the blanket ban on guns ends up being racist, but for different reasons. I appreciate that you are willing to put your logic and analytical skills to work on this issue. However, you will not convince me anytime soon that guns are the savior for minority communities. Your knowledge tells you one thing, my knowledge tells me another. I'd rather that people base decisions not on fear of violence or injury, but out of respect for individuals and because their daily needs are being met appropriately. So, you and I are looking for the same result and I can respect that you and I disagree on the way to get there.

What I'm trying to say is that while it's been fun, this is my goddamn blog so shutthefuckup already.