Monday, October 03, 2005

blogging lite

I've had plenty of bloggable moments lately, but in an attempt to preserve my anonymity, alas, I've censored myself. I'm also in the midst of doing a lot but nothing at all. I'm looking for housing and trying to settle in. I'm watching the Sox kick ass and take names. (that might be a bit of an overstatement. but they're plugging along). I did some court-watching. I'm seeing people I haven't seen in a long time. I lost my cell phone and have been almost incapable of functioning without it.

Barnes and Noble has a neat book called "The Federalist" for $9.95 that I keep picking up and then putting back down. I really want to read the Federalist papers and some commentary, and this seems like a pretty comprehensive collection, but I can't just go throwing money around, having no income and all.

I start work soon, and I go back and forth between feeling like this is all a mistake, that I'm really really incompetent, and that I was only hired because I came from a decent law school which means I'm going to be a horrible attorney; and feeling like, wow, I can totally do that better than he did, and even if I can't do it better, I'm certainly capable of that level of mediocrity (this was while court-watching).

Time to go buy another cell phone.

5 comments:

Windypundit said...

"in an attempt to preserve my anonymity, alas, I've censored myself"

I hope it was nothing I said.

"I'm certainly capable of that level of mediocrity"

Mediocrity takes a lot less time, and most people won't notice the difference until it's too late.

Seriously, my last job I was so stressed out by the level of effort and the politics that I decided to just do a mediocre job to reduce my stress and live with the consequences whatever they were. Over the course of a year, all the jerks in my department were laid off. Then they laid off my boss and put me in charge.

That probably doesn't work so well when you're just starting out and learning the skills of the job, but give it a few years and you'll be the one all the baby lawyers come to for advice.

Windypundit said...

Hey, new slogan! And a classic, too!

WomanoftheLaw said...

hey thanks!

Blonde Justice said...

Oooh, court watching? See anything interesting? Can't wait to hear all about your new job!

WomanoftheLaw said...

I entered the legal profession knowing that there will be moments of dull work and drudgery, but for all the times that I've been in court, I'm starting to think that's not true. There were quite a few interesting things about the day, but the one I want to discuss most is the one that I fear would be the most potentially revealing because it's so unusual. Perhaps I'll come back to it in the future at some point, though.