Monday, September 27, 2004

I want to move to Baltimore.

Not Guilty is moving there. I can't explain it, but I've had an obsession for Baltimore for a few years now. I've only been a few times, and there are many parts of the city I haven't seen, but I really want to live there. In my head, it's wonderful. I imagine that there's a really fun and laid back young population there, I know there are beautiful old rowhouses, the rent is cheap, and Camden Yards is awesome. And there is no doubt that the client population for public defenders is exactly what I'm looking for.

At least I've been to Baltimore. I also have a fetish for cities to which I've never been. Richmond is on its way out, Savannah and Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill are also cities for which I've previously had fetishes. Never been to any of those cities, though.

Today, I went to work for three hours. My day started at CVS, where I purchased cough drops and tissues. My bag was already packed with my heels, a roll of toilet paper (in lieu of kleenex), a Nalgene bottle, an empty coffee mug, a large notebook, and my lunch. No room for anything else. I took my cough drops and 8 tissue pocket packs and left the store. I had the receipt in one hand and my Kleenex in the other. I threw the receipt in the trash outside the store and when I got to the end of the block, I wondered why I was holding the receipt in my left hand and where my kleenex went? sure enough, I had thrown away the wrong items. Ugh. Luckily, the tissues were still shrink wrapped and landed on a pile of newspapers, so I plucked them out and substituted my receipt. I am on death's door, but went to work because the hearing on the motion to suppress for which I wrote the response was today. I got to sit at the big table in front of the judge. I left from court at the attorney's insistence. I wanted to go into work to let my supervisor know, but the attorney I was with insisted that I leave and told me that he'd tell my supervisor. I feel uncomfortable with that, but relented. I couldn't call my boss because I've lost my voice. So I emailed him from home. No response. Hmmm. Does he hate me?

No comments: