Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Courtesy and chivalry.

One thing that irks me about the city in which I'm living this fall is how much people are just shut down to what's going on around them and just involved in their own little world. I think it's typical of bigger cities, but it's more than just the 'city filter' here. For instance, when someone kicks your umbrella out of your hands, wouldn't it be nice if, instead of just brushing by with an apologetic look on their face, they picked it up for you?

This summer, I grew quite accustomed to men opening doors for women and allowing women to proceed first, stepping aside on the sidewalk for women to pass, etc. It didn't happen all the time, but it was commonplace. I liked it when Mr. Maybe walked on the outside of the sidewalk, closest to the street, or when he would usher me by first, with his hand at the small of my back. I'm sure most of the men in my life would bark about liberated women, open the door yourself, yadda yadda. I'm not saying I need a man to open my door for me. But I would like him to. I can manage the world on my own, thankyouverymuch. Sometimes, though, I'd prefer not to. We all want to be a princess sometimes. I do own a tiara.

As far as Mr. Maybe - well, we're back into the non-responsive stage. Haven't gotten a response from him recently. I did speak with him briefly on Saturday, but... sigh. I need to kick this habit. I need to retreat to the safe cocoon of singlehood and not-looking. Being lonely in an abstract sense is easier. I have plenty going on. Tonight I had dinner with friends. Tomorrow night, dinner with other friends. Saturday, BBQ. Sat night, friend from DC coming to Boston to visit. I should refocus on the gym, the Red Sox, and getting a job. After work, that should be enough to fill my days.

No comments: