Friday, June 08, 2007

something in the water?

Like, truth serum?  Over the past 3 months I have had an extraordinarily high percentage of clients go to the DA's office, the police precinct, and the court - without telling me - trying to demand that their side of the story be heard, making statements about their case and demanding that the other parties involved be arrested, making statements about their case and demanding that their case get dismissed, making statements about their case and asking for legal advice from the police and from court officers.  I have never seen anything like it.  I need to add a line to my business card, I think, saying "Do not speak to anyone other than me regarding this incident or this case.  No, really.  I mean it."
 
It's happened in the past, but has been rare.  The past few months, I'm discovering that every other client is writing out a statement, both incriminating and exculpatory, AFTER they've been assigned an attorney!  It's driven me to drink.  Right now. 
 
Reminds me of one of my favorite slogans:  "You have the right to remain silent.  USE IT."

No comments: