Friday, January 28, 2005

My career is on the line.

I may be pursuing the wrong career. I've always been excited by the idea of being in the courtroom, but every time I get near a courtroom-simulated experience, I tense up like a roly-poly being poked by some evil neighborhood kid's stick. I would like to roll up in a ball and wait for it to go away.

Today, I will do my first simulation in trial ad. I think I have a good plan, and I think I'm capable of carrying it out, but I know once I get in there and listen to everyone else I'm going to get tense, stumble over my words, drone on monotonously.

If I'm not declared a brilliant litigator during my review session on Monday, then I'm going to quit. It's all or nothing. My first summation will dictate the rest of my career.

Ok, that's a lie. I'm not going to quit but I will cry.

4 comments:

Mirriam Seddiq said...

That nervousness is how it is, and how it will always be. I love trials, and I hate them. I don't eat, I smoke a pack of cigs a day, and I am like a roly poly being poked by some evil neighborhood kid's stick. It's natural and normal and every trial lawyer feels it. Just use that nervous energy to propel you forward. You will be amazed at what it can get you through.

Blonde Justice said...

I second that. We do it, in part, because we love the excitement (and nervousness). And being prepared goes a long way in turning the nerves into excitement. Let us know how it goes!

WomanoftheLaw said...

C Dog, I think you mistake my liberal social leanings for some set of economic values that I don't actually possess. I would disagree with your characterization. I do think the death penalty is wrong 100% of the time, yes.

I think that mistaking law for economics is incredibly narrow-minded and short-sighted.

WomanoftheLaw said...

And thanks for the feedback about trial practice! It makes me feel better to know that the anxiety is part of the job. I felt pretty good about it, actually.