Wednesday, January 25, 2006

here, have a few links

Theo returns as Red Sox GM.  Oh thank heavens.  The Sox have bungled enough contracts in Theo's absence, please Theo, make it stop!
 
Interesting NY Times article about an excellent teacher at Riker's Island who apparently has been temporarily suspended for political bureaucratic reasons.  Some teachers sleep with their students - this one helps them get GEDs and college courses.  And this is his thanks.  I think I would like to teach in a juvenile facility as my next career.  If they try to fire me, I'll know that I'm being successful.
 
Sentence in death of Iraqi angers son - Speaking by telephone from Iraq, Mowhoush, 18, decried the military jury's sentencing this week of Chief Warrant Officer Lewis E. Welshofer Jr. He emotionally recounted his own arrest and seeing his father shortly before he died in an interrogation room in northern Iraq.
 
Slate article from a few days back:  Can someone else pay your taxes?  Sure, if you pay taxes on the taxes.  That was one of the lessons I took away from my federal income tax class in law school.  The federal tax code is really somethin' else, man.  I wasn't particularly psyched about the class on a day to day basis, but it was interesting to learn about something that affects my paycheck every other week.
 
 

No comments: